Can’t Afford an Immigration Lawyer?
As an immigration lawyer in the greater metropolitan Seattle area–which has a very high cost of living, I know that many people struggle with the cost of legal representation or simply cannot afford it. This is especially true for certain types of disenfranchised individuals such as asylum seekers or victims of domestic violence or other crimes. Fortunately, there are many free or low-cost resources available for those individuals. The following list is provided as a resource for those who are seeking free legal guidance in the area of immigration law.
These organizations are staffed by licensed attorneys. We would never recommend to anyone that they seek legal advice from a non-lawyer. In fact, it is illegal in Washington State for non-lawyers to provide legal assistance for compensation under RCW 19.154.060. The Washington State Attorney General has immigration warnings about immigration services fraud on its web site as well.
Washington State Nonprofits
- Asian Counseling and Referral Service
- Catholic Community Services
- Colectiva Legal del Pueblo
- Entre Hermanos
- Hand in Hand Immigration Services
- Interchurch Refugee Ministries
- International Rescue Committee
- Justice for our Neighbors
- KIAC – Immigration Legal Services
- La Casa Hogar
- Lutheran Community Services Northwest
- Neighborhood House
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project
- Refugee & Immigrant Services Northwest
- Refugee Women’s Alliance
- West African Community Council
Best Free Resources for Immigration Law Guidance
- Immigration Legal Resource Center (ILRC)
- American Bar Association (ABA) — Immigration Resources
- U.S. Department of Justice — Office of Legal Access Programs
- Resources on Gillin Law Group’s web site
Recommended Articles and Videos
— Kyle M.