The following web sites are ones we visit frequently in our own practice. We provide them here as a resource for the general public.

Immigration-related Governmental Agencies

Non-Governmental, Nonprofit Immigration Organizations

Articles by Gillin Law Group

The following are articles we have written to assist with various aspects of immigration, ranging from how to select an immigration lawyer, to how to apply for green cards and naturalization, to what to do if your asylum case is denied.

Articles on Selecting an Immigration Lawyer

Articles about U.S. Citizenship & Naturalization

Articles about Lawful Permanent Residency

Articles about Crimes and Immigration

  • Can I immigrate if I smoked marijuana?

Articles about Asylum

Articles on Immigration Case Management

  • How do I check USCIS processing times?
  • How can I expedite my immigration or naturalization case?

Immigration Glossary

The following terms are commonly used in U.S. immigration law. We post them here to aid in basic understanding of terminology.


  • Adjudicator’s Field Manual (“AFM”)
  • Adjustment of Status
  • Administrative Appeals Office (“AAO”)
  • Admission
  • Adoption
  • Advance Parole
  • Advisory Opinion (in the J visa context)
  • Affidavit of Support
  • Age Out
  • Agent
  • Alien
  • Alien Number
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”). The American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”) is the national association of attorneys and law professors who practice and teach immigration law.  AILA Member attorneys represent U.S. families seeking permanent residence for close family members, as well as U.S. businesses seeking talent from the global marketplace.  AILA Members also represent foreign students, entertainers, athletes, and asylum seekers, often on a pro bono basis.  Founded in 1946, AILA is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that provides continuing legal education, information, professional services, and expertise through its 38 chapters and over 50 national committees.
  • AR-11. Form AR-11 is the form used to change your address with the Department of Homeland Security’s USCIS.
  • Arrival-Departure Record
  • Asylum / Asylee


  • B visas
  • Beneficiary
  • Biometrics
  • Board of Immigration Appeals (“BIA”)
  • Bona fide marriage
  • Bond




  • E-2 visas & status
  • EB-5 Investment immigration
  • Electronic System for Travel Authorization
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • Employment-based immigration
  • E-Verify
  • Expedited Removal
  • Extension of stay


  • F-1 visa / F-1 status
  • False Claim to U.S. Citizenship
  • Family-based immigration
  • Federal law
  • Federal Poverty Guidelines / Federal Poverty Level
    The Federal Poverty Guidelines may be found on Form I-864P.
  • Fiancé(e)
    A person who plans to marry another person.  The foreign fiance(e) of an American citizen may enter the U.S. on a K-1 visa to marry the American citizen.
  • Follow to join
  • Foreign Affairs Manual
  • Freedom of Information Act


  • G-28
    Form G-28 is a U.S. Department of Homeland Security form that allows attorneys and accredited representatives to enter their appearance on behalf of another for purposes of legal representation.
  • Good Moral Character
  • Grounds of Inadmissibility



  • Immigrant visa
  • Immigration and Nationality Act
  • Immigration and Naturalization Service
  • Immigration Court
  • Immigration detainer
  • Immigration to the United States


  • Joint sponsor


  • K-1 / K-2 visas
    The K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his/her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. Eligible children of K-1 visa applicants receive K-2 visas.
  • K-3 / K-4 visas
    The K-3 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen spouse of a U.S. citizen. This visa category is intended to shorten the physical separation between the foreign-citizen and U.S. citizen spouses by having the option to obtain a nonimmigrant K-3 visa overseas and enter the United States to await approval of the immigrant visa petition. Under U.S. immigration law, a foreign citizen who marries a U.S. citizen outside the U.S. must apply for the K-3 visa in the country where the marriage took place.Eligible children of K-3 visa applicants receive K-4 visas.
  • Kentucky Consular Center


  • L visas
  • Labor Certification
  • Labor Condition Application
  • Lawful permanent residency


  • M-1 visa
  • Marriage fraud
  • Misrepresentation
  • Motions to Reopen and Reconsider


  • National Interest Waiver
  • National Visa Center
  • Naturalization
  • Nonimmigrant visa
  • Northwest Detention Center
  • Notice to Appear


  • O visas
  • Oath of allegiance
  • Occupational Information Network
  • Optional Practical Training
  • Out of status
  • Overstay


  • P visas
  • Panel Physician
  • Passport
  • Person of Extraordinary Ability
  • Petitioner
  • Physical presence
  • Polygamy
  • Port of entry
  • Preference category
  • Prevailing wage
  • Principal applicant
  • Priority date
  • Privacy Act
  • Program Electronic Review Management
  • Prosecutorial discretion
  • Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver
  • Public charge


  • Reentry permit
  • Refugee
  • Removal of conditions (based on marriage)
  • Removal proceedings
  • Request for evidence
  • Retrogression
    Retrogression refers to when, in the preference category system, the priority date of a certain visa category moves forward in time. Sometimes a case that is current one month will not be current the next month.  This occurs when the annual numerical limit has been reached.  When the new fiscal year begins, the Visa Office gets a new supply of visa numbers and usually brings back the cut-off dates to where they were before retrogression.
  • Returning resident


  • Same-sex marriage
  • Social security number
  • Special Immigrant
  • Sponsor
  • Stepchild
  • Swearing-in ceremony


  • Targeted Employment Area
  • Tax Return Transcript
  • Temporary Protected Status
  • Timely retraction
  • TN visa
  • Troubled business


  • U visa
  • Undocumented immigrant
  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • United States Customs and Border Protection
  • United States Department of Homeland Security
  • United States Department of Labor
  • United States Department of State
  • United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement
  • Unlawful presence


  • Violence Against Women Act
  • Visa
  • Visa Bulletin
  • Visa Waiver Program
  • Voluntary Departure


Attorney Brandon Gillin

Seattle Immigration Lawyer

Tel. (425) 947-1130

Attorney Brent Bowden

Seattle Immigration Lawyer

Snohomish County Estate Planning Lawyer

Tel. (425) 947-1130